Saturday 15 May 2010

What is a dumpling, after all?

I should define a bit better what I'm doing...
First, the definition of a dumpling. I'm working with the assumption that a dumpling is a 'cooked ball of dough' of some sort, be it stuffed or pain, dressed or plain, sweet or savoury, made from flour, potatoes, bread or matzoh.

Yesterday I kicked off with ravioli as my first dumpling, and while you might think gnocchi is more traditionally understood as the Italian dumpling, I'm still counting ravioli as a dumpling as it falls under my working definition. God knows the pasta I made last night was rather dough-like. I will not neglect the gnocchi though; their time in my boiling water will come.

Second, the organisation. I'm not going to work through the world in any particular order. Jumping about the global dumpling will keep it interesting.

Third, I will add the recipes as far as possible. Even if they are more like a worst-practice guide, it's all useful, right?

OK, let the dumpling-off begin!

2 comments:

  1. I know, I am not reading this except when I'm full. Except for today... BUT a real Italian showed me how to make gnocchi! So if you want any tips when that time comes, ask ME. Or my copy of Silver Spoon, which is currently at Sarah's house. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should have a gnocchifest. Pam has also volunteered her tutorial. I wonder if we can borrow the Masterchef kitchen...

    ReplyDelete